Earth-friendly wedding and reception
For an environmentally-friendly wedding, it's easier than you think. Start by using recycled or reusable items. Some of the most elegant wedding menus and accoutrements are already environmentally sound and often less expensive.
- Use real dishes and cutlery rather than disposables
- Use tablecloths, napkins and other linens that can be laundered
- Serve seasonal foods from local farmers’ markets
- Donate leftover food to charitable organizations
- Set outdoor events during daylight hours
- Reuse flowers, bows and other decorations from the wedding at the reception.
- Share flower vases or other reusable sources from a friend's wedding, reception or event.
- Hold your wedding and reception in the same location (no transportation necessary)
- Arrange carpooling for the wedding party and guests between venues.
- Use LED lights on tabletops (they give the illusion of candlelight but are reusable and safer)
- Use edible favors, seedlings in pots, native plants, or charitable donations for favors
- Use recycled paper products for invitations, save-the-date cards, menus, place cards, and other communications to guests
- If there is another wedding in the same venue earlier or later in the day, consider sharing flowers, bows and other decorations with the other wedding.
Click on a photo to enlarge.